Friday, September 18, 2009

Earthworm Adventures

One of the joys of homeschooling is being able to take advantage of days like today. With all of the rain over the past week, the kids have been a bit stir crazy. Today it was nice and cool outside and no rain (yet). So we put on our play clothes and went out to ride bikes in the puddles. Before long, the earthworms were discovered in the puddles and the focus changed.

We all found our own worms and played with them. The girls found a small box in the garage and decided to make an "earthworm habitat." I was impressed that they thought of adding dirt, grass, and water for their little worm pets. Before long, we were all sitting on the end of the driveway discussing our worms and what life as a worm must be like.

I was telling them about the anatomy of an earthworm, and the subject of the heart came up. I told them that earthworms have multiple hearts and we tried to hold it up to the light to see them. We couldn't see very well, so I asked them if they would like me to cut one open so that we can see its hearts. What was I thinking???

My girls proceeded to scream, jump up, grab all the worms and run away. "MOM! You can't kill our worms! You can't cut them up! Grooooossssssss!"

You see - sometimes I forget that they are only 2,5, & 7. Somethings are best to look at in books at this age. This was a good learning experience for me to remember that I have to be on their level.

In thinking about all of this I wonder if sometimes the Lord wants to show me heart and I am too scared or uncomfortable with the process of getting there. I jump up, grab all my valuables, and run away from Him. I must draw close to Him and work through the hard stuff to draw close to His heart.

No comments: