Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where do babies come out????

Yes. It happened. On the way home from church tonight the girls brought up the subject of how babies come out. They remember that the doctor had to "cut Sam out of Mommy's belly". They asked me if it hurt. I answered that yes- it did hurt. To which Sidney very quickly replied, "I am never having babies if it hurts. I will only be an astronaut!" I told her that she can be an astronaut and a mommy too. And that even though it hurts for a few minutes (ok. weeks) when you have a baby- you get to enjoy them for the rest of your life. It is SO worth it. She thought about it for a minute and then said, "Well-maybe."

Kaitlyn revealed that a little girl in her class pretends she is having a baby sometimes. I assumed this meant that she puts a doll under her shirt or something. Boy was I wrong. She said that this little girl spreads her legs apart and acts like she is pushing the baby "out of her bobo". After the image of a 1st grader doing this cleared my head and I stopped laughing- I asked Kaitlyn what she thinks. She (very matter-of-factly) said that babies can come out 2 different ways- out of your belly button or out of your bobo. Then she proceeded to ask me how she came out. With my quick wit- I responded "God said it was time for you to come out so you did." Being very proud of my answer I waited for her to reply and for that to be then end of it. WRONG. She then point blank asked "No Mommy. Which way did I come out?" I didn't answer. She asked more specifically "Did I come out of your belly like Sam?" Still no answer. Finally a weak, but honest "No." came from the driver's seat of the van. To which she freaked out and shouted, "GROSS. You pushed me out with your poop?!?!"

Of course, my laughter could not be contained at this point. I told her no-I did not push her out that way. Of course for any of you who have actually been in labor know that that is not an entirely true statement. However, that is way to deep for a conversation with my 6 year old in the car on the way home from church. I really realized tonight that I might need to think through the answers ahead of time. I think she is completely confused at this point!

I-however-am still snickering.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Love this!! Thanks for the much needed laugh!! I am enjoying your blogging!

mel77 said...

This is too funny!! I'm thankful that Chloe Ann is totally uninterested in babies other than playing Dr. with them. I bet Kaitlyn can be a little bulldog when she sinks her teeth into an idea or question!!

Anonymous said...

omg...this made me laugh. Out of the mouths of babes!! Looking forward to & dreading these talks all at the same time! lol

3sa said...

Thanks "Anonymous." I hope you enjoy our crazy lives. We have a blast.