Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Princess dreams-dashed.

Ok. So we are sitting at dinner last night. Typical family dinner. Sidney announces that she knows that princesses don't eat like this. I assumed she meant that they don't eat meals that include a cream of something soup and crackers on chicken. What she said was (as she flipped her hair and fluttered her eyelashes), "Princesses have people to feed them. They don't even have to feed themselves."

I said "Well, you are not a princess, so eat up."

My dear sweet husband then proceeded to tell my 5 year old all the downsides to being a princess. He (and then I chimed in) let her know that being a princess isn't always so great.

"Cinderella was a princess and she had to scrub floors."
"Sleeping Beauty was a princess and she had to live out in the woods and do all her own chores."
and my personal favorite...
"Snow White was a princess and she had to cook and clean for 7 other people!"

The sweet, innocent, wanting to pretend she is a princess so badly look on Sidney's face slowly fell. I think we may have altered reality for her forever.

Again, we are awaiting that phone call any day letting us know we have been nominated for parents of the year. Yep-still waiting...

No comments: