Sunday, October 31, 2010

Friends

I have spent a lot of time with friends lately and it has made me think about all the great friends that the Lord has brought into my life. They are all so different and all so special. I have three really great girlfriends that I can count on for anything. A few years ago we decided that we didn't see enough of each other through the year because of all of our busy lives so we decided to devote one 3-day weekend every fall to us. So far, we have been faithful to go for the past 3 years. It is a wonderful weekend of loving friendship, accountability, advice, laughter and fondue. Always fondue. We have been through so much together and I love them so much.

I think about how different they are. I think about how each one brings something different to the weekend, and therefore to me. I wonder what I would ever do without them.

Recently, God has also brought an old friend back into my life. We were as close as sisters a few years ago and somehow drifted apart. Last weekend we went out together for the first time in years. It was wonderful. We were able to be honest and open and transparent with each other. We shared our struggles, our joys, and - of course- talked about our kids. I am very excited that we are connecting again. I have missed her so much and didn't really know how much until we were laughing together again.

I think about friends that were once so very integral in my life. Friends that were mentors. True Titus 2 women for me. Some are with our Lord now and I miss them desperately. But some have just taken paths that are in a different direction than my own. I carry them with me. It is their wise voices that I hear in my head when I am searching for the right thing to say to my children. I am thankful that they were strong enough and obedient enough to listen to my heart and help to mold me and shape me into the woman, wife, and mother that Christ is calling me to be.

I think about new friends. Friends that the Lord has brought into my life in the past year or two. I am thankful that He continues to bring people that are such blessings to me. I am trying to be open and obedient to come alongside those who He brings.

I am also very aware that there are women who do not have these friends. I know that there are women who desperately want a friend to lean on. To laugh with. To cry with. We all need someone. It is my prayer that we all would have one.

You know someone who needs a friend right now. Yep- that's the one. You just thought of her name. Call her. Listen to her. Pray for her and with her. Love on her. You may never know how much you can touch her life.

No comments: